St Mark's Church
The Church Plate
By far the greater part of the existing plate dates from the mid to late 19th century and, in particular, around the time of the erection of the new altar in 1891. This is probably a consequence of the move to a Higher Church form of worship consistent with the views of the Oxford Movement, of which Englefield was clearly a part.
An inventory of about 1895 lists: a silver chalice with cover dated 1577; a jewelled silver altar cross; 4 silver vases and a pair of silver altar lights; a pair of 3-branch silver vesper lights; a silver alms dish; a silver chalice and paten; a silver paten and alms dish, the latter marked 1892; 2 silver mounted cruets on a silver stand; a pewter tankard dated 1679; a small silver private chalice and paten of 1872; 2 small silver patens of 1893 and 1895; a small silver wafer box; and a small silver bread box. A number of the smaller pieces were given by the Rev Arthur Heigham and bear his initials.
Two silver flower vases are inscribed “To the glory of God and in remembrance of Sept 27 1894” and these are known to have been presented by Miss Edith Benyon just prior to her marriage to Mr Alfred Hoare on the date given. The jewelled silver altar cross is engraved “To the glory of God for use in St Mark’s church Englefield a thank offering given by one on Lady Day 1892 in remembrance of her marriage day”. This may well have been given by Miss Julia Benyon, sister of Edith, who was married to Mr Anthony Wingfield on 9 February 1888. The silver vesper lights were given by her mother in 1895.
The 1577 chalice obviously somehow survived the 1643 Puritan ordinance ordering the destruction of all plate on communion tables. This chalice is still sometimes used today.
The pewter tankard listed in the inventory was inscribed “1679 R H & W K Churchwardens of Englefield”. These initials are those of Robert Horne and William Kent, elected as Churchwardens in 1678, who are said to have donated the church plate jointly. This plate was presumably to replace that lost or confiscated during the Puritan period and, if the tankard is a sample, was possibly all of base metal, hence the later replacement by silver items.
The tankard is also listed in the Victoria County History of Berkshire published in 1924, but it is no longer to be found. In September 1894 the Rector notes: “A pair of Silver Candlesticks have taken the place of the brass ones on our High Altar, they bear the inscription - ‘In memory of M.A.E.H.’ Sufficient identification for the present, but the words may possibly puzzle future generations in Englefield long after the remembrance of the present Rector and inhabitants has passed away.” He elaborates no further but we know that his mother was Mary Anne Elizabeth Heigham and that she had died on 16 September 1892. These candlesticks are also still in use today, as is the jewelled cross mentioned in the inventory above.
Of the displaced brass candlesticks there is no trace but a plain brass cross graces the side altar in the aisle and there is also still a brass offertory dish and a ewer, used to fill the front.